Nino Leitner, M.A.
Vienna / Innsbruck, Austria
Nino Leitner is a director and artist born in Innsbruck/Austria. He finished his master studies in MultiMediaArt at the University of Applied Sciences and Technologies in Salzburg (= “Fachhochschule Salzburg“) in December 2006 with merit. He spent his winter study period of 2004/2005 as an exchange student at the film studies faculty of Solent University in Southampton, England.
There, he directed a short documentary, which deals with the omnipresent video surveillance in Great Britain in a critical, yet objective way. Two Spanish students, Naiara Martinez de Marigorta and Javier García Garaizar were the producers of the film, while a fellow student of Nino from Austria, Gregor Grkinic and a regular student in Southampton were also part of the team.
Nino felt that the topic wasn’t given enough room in the short 15-minute-film, and so he decided to re-activate the project in 2006 and made it his diploma film. After months of research, he went back to Britain with a new team, and shot a range of new interviews and lots of new background material. The final result is a one-hour documentary that deals with the topic video surveillance in-depth.
His other works include video and film and photography. Short films like ”Merry Christmas?“, “Panta”, ”Mind the Bag” or “Künstler-Lektion” (“Artist Lesson”) earned some recognition at small film festivals. He also did the music video ”Mrs. Brainshaker” (with Alex Schönauer and Ivica Putnik) for the Austrian pop band ”Urban Ego“, or “Kualala Lumpur” (with Ivica Putnik) for the band “Hotchpotch”, aired on the Austrian music video channel Go-TV. Other video works of Nino are several TV commercials, for instance.
In the summer of 2004, Nino made an internship at the DVD-post-production house and sound studio ”Solid Sound“ in Hall/Tirol, where he contributed his skills in order to create intro animation and menu designs for the new DVD release of BMG Bertelsmann’s and Anke Engelke’s sitcom ”Anke – Die Comedyserie“ for the German TV channel “Sat 1”, among other things.
In 2005, he was an intern at “Novotny & Novotny Film Production” in Vienna for several months, mainly working in the field of commercials as production assistant with a great range of creative and technical responsibilities before and during the shootings.
Nino has also been working in photography as a digital artist for many years already, assisting the photographer Gerda Eichholzer, who is based in Munich and Innsbruck.
Nino Leitner also does a lot of commercial video and film work and enjoys to realise his own original ideas in all of his films. His next aim is to work professionally on documentaries in Britain, where the standard for factual film is probably the highest in the world. Currently, Nino lives and works in Vienna.
• SHORTS ON SCREEN 07 (category Tirol) - ORF (Austrian public television) short film contest for "Auszeit"
• MUVI Award 2006 "BEST MUSIC VIDEO" (by “cultural laboratory” Stromboli) for "Hotchpotch - Kualala Lumpur"
RECENT SCREENINGS etc.:
• TV report about EVERY STEP YOU TAKE including an extensive interview with director Nino Leitner on Austrian public TV channel ORF2 in "Tirol Heute".
• TV report about EVERY STEP YOU TAKE on German/Austrian/Swiss public TV channel 3Sat on March 13th, 10:25 pm (22:25): "Neues vom österreichischen Film", re-run on ORF2 on April 1st, 11:45 (23:45).
• EVERY STEP YOU TAKE at DIAGONALE 07 - GRAND DOCUMENTARY PRIZE COMPETITOR (21st and 23rd March, Graz - see start page for details)
• AUSZEIT - on ORF1 (Austrian public television), Thursday March 22nd 2007, 10:55 pm (22:55): "shorts & skirts - die lange nacht des kurzen films"